Oracle E-Business Suite Review

Good user experience makes this a good product for those who are restricted from pushing fully to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

The business case around using the different Oracle products in this category generally comes down to the discussion regarding migration to the cloud. Specifically, Fusion would be migrating away from an on-premise-heavy environment to a subscription cloud environment. People are generally not looking at E-Business at the moment because of the push to the cloud. In certain countries where there are public sector rules regarding data sovereignty and data storage, they would look at E-Business as their solution because it can base critical data on-premises. From my vantage, everybody is moving to Fusion or should have moved to Fusion, but the fact is that some people still can not. Those who can not will use E-Business.

How has it helped my organization?

I have seen companies that were making decisions based on excel spreadsheets move to making management decisions off the system data. Proper transformation through having a tier one ERP solution in place.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in E-Business Suite is the ability to have one source of the truth when it comes to data. This allows for decisions to be made in different disciplines but use the same data. Powerful.

What needs improvement?

I think the capability for deployment is not great when you get out of financials. That is, when you get to the edge products around the E-Business core, I think that needs improvement. For example, if you are in manufacturing and the core focus of your work is financial procurement and HR, I think E-Business is very good. When you get away from that focus and you get into the more specialized area of work, then EBS needs improvement. They are trying to fit everything into the cloud, but they are adopting pieces rather than adapting them to the cloud.

One other improvement could be adopting more of the NetSuite total-business solution. I think that is a weakness that E-Business is really more like a module that connects things than a complete solution. I think that they should be looking at making it a total business solution.

I have had experience with this product for the last 20 years.

I think E-Business has the capacity to scale pretty well. Oracle is generally good for that aspect of product management.

When I was on the support side, I thought it was great. I think where support does fall over sometimes is in the turn-around time and not from a technology perspective. The turn around can be too long.

The initial setup for E-Business is pretty complex. I think that the difficulty is similar to implementing NetSuite as well. With NetSuite, you can get it up and running in three to four weeks for core financials. With Oracle, on the box, it says that it can be done with the setup rapidly and that may be true. But it is actually the internal change and adoption that are the biggest problems. In other words, I think that it is actually more of a problem as to how quickly business people can change rather than how difficult it is to deploy.

I have implemented, supported, maintained, and looked after all of the different deployment types (on cloud, hybrid cloud, and on-premises).

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten there one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle E-Business Suite as an eight-out-of-ten.

I would recommend E-Business Suite to others who are looking into implementing it and sometimes do.

More Oracle E-Business Suite reviews from users