Oracle E-Business Suite Review

Valuable Features

We find the most value in the fact that all the modules within E-Business Suit are fully integrated into one solution. It's one place where the entire company can have access to information and functions. This is the main benefit of the product.

Improvements to My Organization

The business has all the process integrated, so if you have it in different places it would be crazy trying to do a consolidation or a financial statement or reporting for the business to have all the activity in there.

Room for Improvement

Although all the modules are integrated with each other into E-Business Suite, sometimes when you apply one patch for Accounts Receivable, for example, it can damage Accounts Payable. That's why it's important to read the ReadMe that says that touching one module will impact another. But that was highly unexpected for us. We're constantly performing patches, and it's become an area of unreliability for our business. We can't know for certain whether what we're doing with one module won't negatively affect another.

Use of Solution

I've been working here for thirteen years and we use all the financials modules, plus Property Manager. The financials modules we use are Procurement, Purchasing, General Ledger, Projects, Fixed Assets, Payables, and Receivables.

The implementation was fine. We would have loved to have something like SAP where you just perform the configuration in one instance and you can just put it back into a new instance so that you don't have to configure it again or use another application for that. But otherwise, E-Business Suite is a good tool.

I refer back to the issues when patching one module will affect another module. It's stable, otherwise.

It's scaled well for our needs.

Oracle will always have little bugs here and there. Fortunately, we have a very strong relationship with them, so whenever we had a service request that wasn't moving, we escalated it quickly. So we're OK in that regard.

I do find that sometimes first-level support doesn't know a lot and they ask the "classic" questions. Starting at level two, though, the support gets much better.

I haven't done a setup in the U.S., but I've done them in three Latin American countries. The business analysts are the implementation team and then we do the setups for the test instances. And then we go to our support team to do the configuration for UATs in Prague.

Sometimes we take advantage of all the things that Oracle gives you to go beyond just the basic stuff. We get a little creative so that there's a little more complexity to the setup in the end.

Other Advice

I worked as a contractor for Oracle for some years, and E-Business Suit is a very good tool. You will not find an ERP that doesn't give you challenges. The very first thing, even EBS or any ERP, is that you need to be clear on your processes and you have to clean them up first. Else, you're just going to put more garbage in the system and the system is so powerful that it's going to spit everywhere. It's the processes plus the data. If you can do data cleaning before or during the implementation, it will give you much more peace later on.