Oracle E-Business Suite Review

This software scales very well across various implementations

What is our primary use case?

I am an Oracle applications architect/DBA/sysadmin, hence my review will be from this perspective.

My task is to size and deploy solutions both for building our internal solutions and for our various customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had a lot of success in implementing Oracle EBS for various customers. For example, the shared services modules have helped to reduce manpower in many areas of finance, where previously each individual organizational unit had their own staff.

What is most valuable?

• The robust architecture
  • Ability for near zero downtime patching
  • High availability
  • Security
  • RAC
  • Data Guard in the architecture

These make for a very resilient solution in an ERP platform.

What needs improvement?

One issue with the product is because it build on a lot of older technologies, there is a substantial technical debt in the system. For example, the use of Oracle forms which are a much older technology, and are basically a two-tier client server setup shoehorned into a three-tier architecture, it might create issues over a wide area network.

More than five years.

When correctly configured, this is a very stable solution. We have customers running their process automation manufacturing based off of this solution.

This software scales very well across various implementations.

There are both knowledgeable and unknowledgeable support people in the vendor organization. Hence, it is imperative to keep pushing on various issues in order to get a resolution.

We are part of the Oracle Centers of Excellence within our company, so we only have experience with the Oracle ERP products. However, we do have capabilities on various Oracle ERP products, like J.D. Edwards, PeopleSoft, etc., and can contrast among these solutions.

Initial setup is complex, hence it is recommended to use a system integrator (SI).

As we are system integrators for this solution, we have implemented it in various locations using our own in-house team.

At our various customers, the software tends to pay for itself in less than two years.

Licensing and costing of Oracle EBS is very complex. We recommend to use a system integrator during the negotiation process since Oracle sales representatives sometime do not know the actual minimum requirements and may oversell the necessary licenses through ignorance.

Since we are focused on Oracle ERP technologies, we do not have a mandate to do comparisons on other products.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely one of the more robust on-premise solutions. Given the sensitive nature of ERP financial information, there will always be concerns in taking such software to the cloud, which is why we still see a future for this software.

It was recently announced that there will be at least one more version of Oracle EBS which will come out to satisfy customer demands.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle Diamond Partners. We implement this solution and other solutions for our various customers.
1 visitor found this review helpful