Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Review

The two most valuable features we've found are the email notifications and the live, real-time monitoring. It would be nice if there was a way to seamlessly clone the configurations.

Valuable Features

In our experience, the two most valuable features we've found are the email notifications and the live, real-time monitoring. They really allow us to stay on top of things.

Improvements to My Organization

As contractors, we manage a whole bunch of different environments and servers. EM Cloud Control gives me a good way to look at everything in one snapshot and to stay on top of daily monitoring.

Another big thing is that it helps with the down time. Instead of having to wait for a user to report an issue, I get an email notification, and most times I can fix it before anybody even knows that something went down.

Room for Improvement

They're moving everything off of our currents servers into the cloud. It would be nice if there was a way to seamlessly clone the configurations onto Cloud Control and then into the new environment so that I don't have to reconfigure everything.

We've had no issues with deployment.

The stability is pretty good. Sometimes it runs slowly, but that may be due to our network. Generally, though, it's good. The downside is that there is a lot of configuration overhead to get it working the way you want.

We only have one instance of it running. We're not so big that scalability is a concern.

We've had a few issues, opened CRs, and had no trouble getting them resolved. So technical support has been good.

We were using Grid Control and we switched as we didn't have a place to have just one dashboard with everything on it.

The initial setup is not hard; it's just time-consuming.

Other Advice

What it does, it does well, but it's so complex. There are a lot of quirks to get it to do what you want it to do. Do blackouts before you take anything down, because if you don't, you will get a gigantic shit storm.

1 Comment
Database Administrator at a recruiting/HR firmReal User

good points! email notifications are minimizing DBA's stress.

04 May 16