Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Review

It eases administration, mainly regarding performance management and troubleshooting, if you have a considerable number of Oracle Databases

What is our primary use case?

We are very dependent on the product, since it eases Oracle database administration. Mostly, if you have a lot of databases in your DC.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us in the manner of productivity, since it enables us to monitor and manage a lot of databases in a centralized web portal.

What is most valuable?

Patching multiple databases

Performance monitoring

Management and optimization

Database administration

Alerts and thresholds

What needs improvement?

Stability and performance of the tool itself. Might be better used with more hardware. Normally the specifications from the docs are enough.

Three to five years.

Yes, there are some bugs. Some of the screens sometimes do not load data, and sometimes the portal hangs.

It has the ability to scale out the database and the OEM to more than one server.

It is under the Oracle support agreement. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Yes, we evaluated Spotlight from Dell (Quest), but we chose OEMCC, since it has more features and requires no direct licensing.

I think it is a bit complex. You have to install and create an Oracle Database with a template for OEM, then you have to install and configure the OEM.

We did it by ourselves.

OEM requires no licensing, but if you want to use features like the performance monitoring page in your database, you must have the Diagnostic Pack license. If you want the tuning advisor, you have to license the Tuning Pack. The license you need is not for OEM, but for the Oracle Database.

We evaluated Spotlight from Dell (Quest).

What other advice do I have?

If you have a considerable number of Oracle Databases and they are very critical, I suggest you use this product. It eases administration, mainly regarding performance management and troubleshooting.