Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Good graphical user interface and good monitoring but does not scale

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the fact that it is embedded with the Oracle database and Oracle's engineering system, its extra data, and analytics.

They have plug-ins that are very helpful.

Due to the infrastructure's size, the introduction they offer is very, very useful. It helps with an overall understanding of the product.

They have a very nice graphical user interface.

The monitoring is good.

We can capture the SQL tune from us. With Oracle Enterprise Managers, we can see the rich performance tuning.

What needs improvement?

Oracle has made a pretty complex system, which has made us want to explore other options.

The solution has a very large resource system. It's too big. There are too many items.

The solution has too many licenses. If you want to monitor the MSS or the other tasks, they want you to use their license. However, it's a very expensive license. Oracle is a very big company. The database is the number one product in Oracle, and in the world. They don't need to charge for the adjusted monitoring tool. They already are making so much on licensing elsewhere. I don't like it.

The initial setup is rather difficult.

It would be ideal if Oracle offered something that was open-source. They don't yet offer an open-source database. We would like to have the freedom to monitor in-house.

The solution does not scale at all.

I've been using the solution for about five or six years at this point. It's been a while so far.

It's a stable product. For the most part, they have quite a stable system. However, there are at times difficulties with the project server. They have a very big container program in their project server as Enterprise Manager is running in the project server. The old configuration was more difficult, and, in any case, users need to be precise with their configurations to ensure stability.

The solution is not scalable at all. You would not choose this solution in order to expand on it later.

I can't say that I have experience with technical support. I cannot comment on it.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's quite complex, or, rather, not very easy. You really have to concentrate on the tasks. You must first install the database before we can use our SQL server or our SQL database. Now, you must do the record database first. You must install the database before the server. I don't understand why. Then, you have to try to install the Enterprise Cloud Control Manager.

It's important that whoever installs the solution has specific Oracle knowledge, otherwise they will run into problems.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Oracle. We have a business relationship with the company.

I have more than 20 years in the IT sector. I am a database engineer.

We tend to use the latest version of the solution, however, we have clients on older versions. We have one client, for example, on version 12.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten, overall. We're mostly satisfied with the product.

More Oracle Enterprise Manager reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Enterprise Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.