Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Previously used TOAD, switched to OEM because it offers more functionality.

What is most valuable?

The tight integration with Oracle ASH, AWR and ADDM is invaluable. Management of Oracle Appliances with support for system health monitoring and performance views for all hardware and software components.

How has it helped my organization?

OEM 12 C has simplified management of our Enterprise Systems and has eliminated unnecessary and legacy tools. Oracle Enterprise Manager has a comprehensive set up plug-ins for operating systems, hosts, databases, middleware, security, network, servers, and storage.

What needs improvement?

Prior to Oracle Enterprise Manager 12C I would have said the UI could be improved, however this has achieved in Oracle Enterprise Manager 12C which has a new and improved UI.

Since 2004 starting with Oracle OEM 10g

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Excellent mechanism for support management using ‘My Oracle Support. The support framework is second to none. Excellent interface, with fast response and resolution times, also includes escalation paths and full audit trail.

Previously have used TOAD. The main reason for the switch is that OEM is free and offers more functionality.

Very simple to setup within a command line interface known as EMCTL

In House

What other advice do I have?

Get OEM 12c integrated into your support tool arsenal. The latest version allows you to manage and diverse group of products other than just the database, these include but are not limited to Web Logic, MySQL, Linux.
1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
author avatarRavi Suvvari
TOP 5LEADERBOARDReal User

We used Oracle Grid which gives basic parameters like slow queries, disk, CPU, memory utilization, However, if you want to find Application level metric like threads, heap, connections, sql queries used etc. Its not possible. instead you can use HP diagnostics to find hot spots till class, method, augment level or DB level, table level and record level drill down.

author avatarDatabase Senior Manager with 501-1,000 employees

Oracle Enterprise Manager 12C is a complete system re-write and offers the ability the drill into individual sql statements, monitor OS, CPU etc OEM 12C is a good leap forward in terms of functionality.

author avatarDatabase Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Hi Daniel Fisher. What are the major differences between TOAD and OEM in terms of functionality?