Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

As a DBA contractor, I like the ability to be able to group my hosts/targets and set up different configurations to monitor based on the needs of my clients.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has made my job easier in that I can put my focus on certain elements at the whim of my client.

What needs improvement?

The one area was the process of setting up targets and hosts as it seems rather lengthy and repetitive. There should be a way to merge some of the steps together.

As a DBA contractor, I have been using this solution/configuration since 2013. I started with the upgrade from 11 to 12.

I have had no issues deploying it.

There have been no issues with the stability.

I have no issues scaling it as needed.

Customer service has been consistently excellent.

Technical support has been consistently excellent.

My client has always been Oracle based.

With the proper available documentation the setup, although lengthy, was straightforward for the most part.

Implementation was done in-house. My advice, based on the upgrade that we performed, is to create a "sandbox" to "play" in and test, test, test and document, document, document.

We documented with great detail each step and the time it would take. We ran tests in the sandbox to ensure that the upgrade would work. It was very successful and ran into virtually no problems.

What other advice do I have?

Do some research, follow the documentation and any advise that might be out there. The Oracle communities are good sources.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
3 Comments

author avatarUser

I have been using it for past 8 years... and every year i see many enhancements in this product... really enjoying the graphical output and the metrics enhancements which makes our life easy by prompting the notifications at the set thresholds

author avatarUser with 1,001-5,000 employees

The automated alerts and notifications are key. Helps tide us admin through former sleepless nights. informs us proactively.

author avatarUser at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

I agree that it is helpful to group targets.