Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Automation in patching, applying security patches, and PSU's has been important for us. We've had many struggles patching automation.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature is the way it shows me, on top in one screen, right there, my availability options. Then if I have to drill down the performance, it shows me what's running, rather than me going in and doing my own scripts. It provides AWR reports, active session reports, and things like that.

Improvements to My Organization:

The biggest bang for our buck with Enterprise Manger is automated patching. We have at least 1000 or so databases, so automation in patching, applying security patches, and PSU's has been huge for us. We are working heavily with Oracle and their representatives to have patches written up.

Room for Improvement:

We've had a lot of struggles patching automation. There's no good log file that you can debug. We have to go back to the account managers and work with Oracle internals. I'm hoping that 13c will bring something better on that front.

Deployment Issues:

We've been OK deploying it within our company.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable, but the patching is the biggest pain-point right now for us.

Scalability Issues:

We are not there yet with scaling it. Like I said, if you patch one single database, it works OK. If you have, on one server, ten different databases, that's where it hangs, and we don't know where it failed and when it might fail.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was good and fairly straightforward. We didn't have a whole lot of trouble with it.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it with our in-house team.

Other Advice:

If you're a newbie who doesn't want much hands-on in a CLI, it's a good solution.