Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Valuable Features:

I find it nice that OEM provides a graphical way to manage both our database and E-Business Suite. It's great being able to see that all the information you need is in front of you on the screen. There are links that allow you to kill sessions or to check your performance. With other solutions, you just see numbers go by on a screen.

Improvements to My Organization:

It helps me do my job as a DBA. Even though I may know how to manage it wth the CLI, I'm much quicker at doing things and identifying problems. Having it running and seeing a spike on the graph lets me know that we have a performance issue, I've got something locked up, and I need to address that proactively instead of being reactive. Sometimes I go to the CLI to get right to the thing quicker, but the graphical interface, again, is nice.

Room for Improvement:

It can be a process hog sometimes. When I do leave it running, the CPU fan kicks on, and I can hear it running. Otherwise, it's a great tool.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable. We haven't had any instability issues to speak of.

Scalability Issues:

It's been scaling just fine. We have no issues scaling it for our needs.

Initial Setup:

It's easy, very easy to set up. You've got to know what you're doing, but it's not a lot. You've just got to follow the documentation and configure it accordingly.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it ourselves with our in-house team. It was pretty straightforward.

Other Advice:

Follow the directions as the setup and implementation are all nicely laid out for you.