Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

You can check your SQL executions and how the SQLs are progressing in terms of any blocks or contention in the database.

What is most valuable?

You can monitor your database thoroughly. Some valuable features of this product are checking your SQL executions and how the SQLs are progressing in terms of any blocks or contention in the database. In other words, you can monitor the entire progress of your database per millisecond.

How has it helped my organization?

It benefits our organization by identifying the problem immediately and rectifying it. So, the user doesn't have to bear any sort of impact.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features that need improvement are increased monitoring at the operating system and storage levels, without having a plugin. At the Oracle level, improvements can be done by providing minute details in regards to SQLs.

The product is stable 99.9% of the time, but there are a few issues that need to be improved. I have noted that these issues are generally updated in a later version of the product, as and when it is released.

Oracle does provide some plugins. However, if these can be provided with the Oracle Enterprise Manager software itself, there is a scope for scalability. In addition, increased monitoring at the storage level and the OS level can really help.

The technical support is not always 100% up to the mark or sometimes not as we expect it to be.

At times, they (the customer support team) take more time to respond or we don't get the desired response/solution from their end and then we have to keep tracking them.

We have always been using this product.

The setup is simple and not complex. I find that it has improved with later versions that are being released.

The setup process used to take much longer than it does now and I hope that this will be enhanced in the future.

We have not evaluated any other product besides Oracle, as it suits our product best.

What other advice do I have?

Stability and responsiveness are the two major factors while choosing a product. Right now, response time is the most critical aspect for our organization and that is what we need.

If you database scalability is more or if your infrastructure is as big as the product we have, Oracle is the only solution out there. There are other competitors, but they are all NoSQL database tools. Thus, Oracle stands out.