Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

We use it to monitor sites without scripting, maintain all databases in one place, and standardize code.

What is most valuable?

It's a standardized GUI tool, which is very good and pluggable with automatic connection to an Oracle database, in comparison with any other GUI tools available in the market. Other than that, if you see if you want to share the backups, or if you want to do any monitoring stuff, to customize your monitoring, and if you want to do the blackout. If you are doing any amendments, you can do a blackout.

If you want to monitor the regular site without doing any scripting or anything, you just need to plug in both databases, and then it's easy to maintain. It's one tool to maintain all the databases in one place without doing much customization, and it's easy to manage.

How has it helped my organization?

People used to say I develop my own scripts, or colleagues used to develop their own scripts. If you want to change, if you are doing an upgrade, or if you are going to migrate your database, for example, from Linux to Solaris (REAX), then we need to change all this coding, right, to support that. I want to write my own code, and he wants to write his own code. Everybody out there wants standards to write the code. Then when you do migrate all these things, we need to do so much hard work to make it actually work. If you use OEM as a standardized tool, then it's easy to manage, and you don't need to do all this hard work, which it makes easy.

What needs improvement?

If you see the documentation, it's not really that much good. They did not explain all the details, so maybe they need to improve the documentation to get a better understanding, so that most of the people can use it.

Stability is good, but I can see only very small performance issues. When the system is very busy and I click a report, sometimes takes a little bit more time than I expected. If you fix those performance issues and best practices, I think it's an awesome tool.

I was able to scale with multiple margins: small, medium, large, and extra large. We can pick those according to your organization’s size.

Technical support is always good. The only thing we need is to create a right severity, and talk to the right folks, actually. Then problems will be resolved.

I checked the BMC Patrol and Quest products also, to monitor the databases. I feel like among all these, that OEM is the best tool compared to any other.

What other advice do I have?

I feel that it's a good tool. The only thing is that you need to read the documentation before starting anything. As you mentioned about the size, you need to know how may databases you want to monitor in the company, and pick the right size.