Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Provides comprehensive management and monitoring for Oracle products

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control to monitor and manage our Oracle and MySQL databases.

How has it helped my organization?

The Oracle Databases are key components of our company. All of our services rely on critical customer data and transactions. We need %99.9995 uptime, and Oracle Enterprise Manager helps us to achieve this goal with its superior monitoring and management capabilities. Even mid-level administrators can quickly detect and solve performance problems, and our monitoring team can easily follow the general status of our databases and servers.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Enterprise Manager provides comprehensive monitoring features for all Oracle products. It has an extensible architecture, so it’s possible to add third-party plugins to extend its monitoring abilities. These are valuable features of Oracle Enterprise Manager for all Oracle customers.

On the other hand, I think the most valuable feature of Oracle Enterprise Manager is its management capability for Oracle products. It makes a real difference when comparing it to any other monitoring solution in the market. You can manage your Oracle Databases, Oracle VM, WebLogic, and other products with Oracle Enterprise Manager.

What needs improvement?

It's better to have native agents specially when monitoring legacy systems. So the agents can consume less resources.

More than five years.

I have not encountered any serious stability issues since version 13c.

I did not encounter any scalability issues, and we know that we can easily scale up our Oracle Enterprise Manager system by adding more application servers, and even using RAC database as its repository.

At the same level as other Oracle products.

I used several monitoring solutions, including open source, both free and proprietary. Most of them are designed to monitor system health and require additional plugins to monitor Oracle databases. Unfortunately, they do not provide the same level of insights when monitoring Oracle products as Oracle Enterprise Manager provides.

It is very straightforward because of its improved installer. Since version 12c, installing Enterprise Manager has been very simple. The installer handles everything even including configuration issues with your database repository and OS kernel parameters.

The basic functions are free. You pay license fees only for advanced features. That means you can buy a license for selected (mission-critical) systems which need extensive care, while you can still use basic monitoring for the rest of your target systems.

I’ve been using this product for years. I evaluated other options from different vendors such as Quest Foglight, CA Unified Infrastructure Management, ManageEngine OpManager, Zabbix, Nagios and maybe some other tools I don’t recall right now.

What other advice do I have?

First, check the compatibility index and be sure that your targets are supported with the version you’re planning to install. I also advise keeping your system up-to-date by installing patches regularly.