• Exadata provides great improvement in terms of read/write response time. The response time is approximately 10x the performance of a regular disk.
• Tuning is automatic.
• SQL operations run faster, because large I/O operations are replaced by group operations.
• Ideal for data warehousing since it supports bulk load operations.
• Good storage capacity
Room for Improvement:
• Licensing is per CPU and relatively expensive.
• It is specifically designed for data warehouse and OLTP platforms; so, it is not cost effective when investing in it for low data transactions.
• The hardware runs only Oracle Software
Exadata is a proprietary system from Oracle, that combines both hardware and software requirements for data warehousing and OLTP applications. Oracle utilizes the improvement in disk technology, to produce one of the best machines, ideal not only for data warehousing, but good for private cloud.
Smart Scan , Smart Flash, storage Index, Hybrid Columnar Compression, Resource Manager and Smart Scan of Data mining Model Scoring technologies are the features that places Exadata machine ahead of similar products. If you are looking for a data warehouse machine with large storage capacity, high performance, and manageability, Exadata is the best suite. But, you have to mentally prepare yourself for the fact that Exadata hardware only runs oracle software.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Jun 28 2012