Oracle Exadata Review

With this solution, our data warehouse was consolidated on a single database with improved capability and performance.

What is most valuable?

SmartScan and Cell Offloading, which can drastically reduce I/O from queries, improving response time.

How has it helped my organization?

My company's data warehouse was consolidated on a single database with improved capability and performance. Maintenance tasks and jobs start to execute much faster on the new environment. Now our company is acquiring a new hardware to support our SAS application.

What needs improvement?

Massive updates statements should not disable HCC.

I've used it for over two years.

When the workload increases on the cells, Cell Offloading may not happen.

No issues encountered.

8/10.

8/10.

No previous solution was used.

The setup is conducted by Oracle, which is a requirement.

We've not measured it.

It can simplify your IT environment, reducing the costs with maintenance operations if you have the Platinum offering.

We looked at Fusion I/O, but Exadata Storage was so much faster.

What other advice do I have?

It really fit our mixed environment and it is totally directed to DW/DSS environment, as most of the heavy queries would be performed on the storage server.

2 Comments
author avatarUser at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Hi Carlos, what was the overall infrastructure and data size?

thanks,
Arun

author avatarOracle Database Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

Sorry for the lat answer, we have 3 Exadata Machines one X2-2 Quarter Rack, one X4-2 Half Rack and one X5-2 Elastic Rack (4 DB nodes and 8 Storage Nodes).

Thanks.