Oracle Exadata Review

Performance is one of the key features, allowing us to bring in more data. It provides us with more subject areas for reports. And now supporting the Cloud service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is that it is durable. It is a highly relevant option with extreme performance. The extreme performance is one of the key features when you're using Exadata. There are known points that you need to take care of, simply "beware of update".!

How has it helped my organization?

I'm currently writing a data warehouse on Exadata. Before this solution, we were aiming for this to be completed by 8 a.m., when our ETLs would finish. With the help of Exadata's special features, this was reduced to 3 a.m.

This solution allows us to bring more data within the same time period. It provides us with more subject areas that provide more reports to our users. Our ETL times reduced to 65%, then to 50%.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more database features and maybe more archiving features, because we need to do data archiving. I would like to see additional database memory.

My first implementation was in 2009 and still using.

There's nothing bad to say about Exadata. It's stable, durable, and always up and running. My DBAs do online patches and online backup.

This product is scalable. We first started with the quarter rack, and then we expanded to the full rack.

Previous to this solution, we were using a normal Oracle RAC service. We were just waiting for this product to come out.

The installation is easy because it comes out-of-the-box and you just start using it.

We had already chosen Exadata, so we didn't compare this solution with many other products.

What other advice do I have?

Get the database on Oracle first. If you are in an Oracle stack, it would be much better to use the Oracle products. If you are driving a Ferrari, you wouldn’t put a Mercedes engine in it. If you are writing a query, you cannot rely on other brands.

I'm an architect, so when I look for a product, I look for performance.