Oracle Exalogic [EOL] Review

The most valuable feature I've seen is the integration it has with Exadata.

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature I've seen in the Exalogic platform is the integration it has with the Exadata. When I'm running WebLogic based wordloads, that really need low latency to an Exadata for improved input, improved latency, that's the big value of the Exalogic.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits is it reduces the latency, reduces the amount of time for the Exalogic to get data from the database on the Exadata. When you're running OLTP applications that are very time sensitive, that's where it really comes in to play because you see the performance noticeably improve compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of additional features I would like to see in the Exalogic. The user interface would be nice to better integrate into Enterprise Manager 13 and eliminate the whole EMOC layer to the Exalogic. That causes a lot of confusion both internally as well as clients that use the platform.

I have been working with Exalogic systems for the last three years

A few, mainly due to how the OS deals with infinniband. Once you learn how that works your fine.

Stability of Exalogic's been great. In a virtualized environment, runs OVM, doing a lot of work with it. In fact, we've been using some of the Exalogic here at this event to run some of our hands-on labs that I've been doing as community efforts and haven't had any issues with stability on it, no big panics. With any system, you do have to patch it. If you don't patch it for a year or two, you might start getting some bugs.

Scalability, you can take it up to a full cabinet and that's not been an issue at all. It's a lot of horsepower in a single cabinet.

Technical support for Exalogic is okay. It's acceptable. Again, it's a complicated platform and it has some limitations that tend to have to call support a little more often.

What you really look at on an Exalogic is what's your application and would the benefit of the lower latency when you connect to the Exadata really improve your application to the point that that's the solution you want to go to.

The initial setup on the Exalogic when you're running it is pretty straight forward. It's an engineered system so most of it's up and running. You put it in the data center, do some configuration on it, and you're up and running in a day.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I'd give Exalogic probably a 7.5. The reason is, the issues with the Emoc system and that integration, that user interface is very different. Also, some of the limitations on the Exalogic. You have to use Oracle's OS load, you can't run Windows. There's some limitations to how it works that causes some confusion. That's why I'd rate it a little lower.

My recommendation for peers if you're looking for a need to reduce the latency for your workload, definitely take a look at it. It's definitely going to be the fastest thing out there to solve that issue for your connectivity to the Exadata when you're running a WebLogic based application. You need to take a look at it for that reason alone. Be prepared for some of the limitations and make sure your application works within those limitations.

**Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
More Oracle Exalogic [EOL] reviews from users