Oracle Exalogic Review

What is most valuable?

It's vendor-managed, preconfigured, and engineered. It's important mainly for reducing time and complexity in the setup and first delivery of IT environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved the delivery of virtual machines and setting them up with WebLogic (Application Server).

What needs improvement?

Live Migration of the vServers will be a plus, as well as a more robust EMOC/EL control behavior.

We started using it in 2013, so for about four years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We faced, a few times, problems with the stability of the platform due to storage issues.

We have had no issues scaling it as needed.

The overall rating is sufficient, but we expected a little bit better. And for our level of complexity, we'd like a more responsive attitude from the Oracle Support.

We moved our WebLogic Servers from a Linux standard infrastructure to the Exalogic Platform in order to have a single "family" environment.

The initial setup was fine, and it was performed according to our prerequisites.

We proceeded in two ways. First, the initial setup was provided by the vendor team. After that, we managed the platform on our own, and designed the best vDC configuration.

What other advice do I have?

It can be a good choice if you like to avoid labour in setting up the storage, network and computing. After this, you need to be prepared to rely on your team or the vendor support team because you’re going to face small but frequent issues.