Oracle Exalogic Review

We were able to decommission blade servers, all of which are now running on Exalogic.

What is most valuable?

OVM and the InfiniBand readiness ([IBO] TCP port settings) of the VM’s in this OVM version for Exalogic are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to decommission more then 20 blade servers, all of which are now running on Exalogic.

What needs improvement?

There is still room for improvement, especially in regards to Oracle support.

Also, the SDP InfiniBand protocol needs to be usable in VM’s and patches for OVM installed for delivery.

We had no issues deploying it.

OTD (Oracle Traffic Director) is failover architecture and is not as robust as advertised. Additionally, SSO and several other features sometimes went down.

We have had no issues scaling it.

6/10

6/10

We previously used version X3-4 and upgraded to the current version.

It is an environment which runs partly via bare metal and partly via hypervisor technology, and this type of installation cannot be simple. It is also an engineered system, which means that there are a lot of tweaks that enhance it a lot, but they aren't easy. There's a rather high entry point for just setting it up.

We used both vendor and in-house teams for the implementation. First, we implemented OMCS and then, after several months, the rest of the DTAP environment. This was also the case with the functional servers (individual VM’s).

It was a little bit of a black box for me. It costs millions for the hardware and software licenses. However, the overall system runs five times faster than it did on IBM hardware.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great solution for an application server.