Oracle Exalogic Review

The virtualized app servers for enterprise systems supporting all HR functions is valuable. We haven't had a patching exercise occur without significant problems.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We get better performance and utilization of resources since it was implemented. It's helped to reduce the batch cycle from over 40 hours to about eight.

What needs improvement?

It's very expensive. Oracle Platinum Services (patching) is terrible, and we haven't had a patching exercise occur without significant problems and often impact to production operations.

We began the implementation the fall of 2012 and completed in September of 2013. It has been in place since then with expansion and upgrades along the way.

Significant issues with deployment of OTD (Oracle Traffic Director).

Stability for the most part has been good with some production impact which resulted from patching and version control. The product needs a better support model.

Level 1 and Level 2 I would give 6/10. Level 3 I would give 9/10. The problem was the time it took to reach the appropriate level of support to solve the problem.

Prior to the Exa platform we ran on M5000.

This was a complex implementation. Implementation of Grid, RAC, and especially OTD was a nightmare. However, once solved, it has performed well and remained stable. This was not an issue with the solution itself but more related to the technical understanding of the network design coupled with the technical knowledge required for setup of OTD. We ultimately received level three support from the Oracle product team that solved the problem. The level 3 product team was excellent.

I led the vendor team team that managed the implementation. We also engaged ACS and OCS (Oracle Consulting Service) to assist with the implementation.

Selection of Exa was after a Proof of Concept comparison with VCE, IBM, and HP. Exa had superior performance results with a significant higher cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you do not underestimate the work involved and if working with OCS closely manage the deliverables and hours.