Oracle Exalogic Review

It has a good I/O response rate. The storage system needs to be improved.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature of the product is the infinity band solution, but only if you have all of the components – Applications, Middleware, Database – running in the same cloud or in the same box.

The technology has a good I/O response rate that permits very high data processing between the frontend and backend layers.

Improvements to My Organization

We used it a lot for BI Operations, for JMS, and other business operations that need a very fast response for webservices and the result was satisfactory. On comparison with other solutions, VM for example, we saw a 70% performance improvement.

Room for Improvement

The storage system needs to be improved. Perhaps the newer version (X4) is better but on X3, we had many storage issues.

Use of Solution

I used it for three years.

I had an issue with the GFS of the storage.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support is an issue for Oracle, not only for Exalogic products; it needs to improve. We didn't see good response from support, not as far as the response time, but about its effectiveness. We had a lot of boring situations, so the level of technical support was very bad.

We started using our applications over VMware solutions (vSphere). We were having some I/O constraints that forced us to research other solutions.

Initial setup was not totally straightforward, but not complex either. We did the 2 Box setup in about three weeks, including all Oracle Fusion Middleware products.
I guess the most complex part was the partition setup, some network definitions, etc.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It’s very difficult to define pricing and licensing. Nonetheless, if you want a mid-range solution (you don't have much space on your datacenter, etc.), and you want to group technologies, such as network devices, storage systems, etc., and software licenses too of course, well, it can be a good choice.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated IBM blades and other similar architecture. We started to bring back some environments to para-virtualized hosts, some with full virtualization, others only using the blade hosts, or IBM LPARs, etc.

Other Advice

Well, first check if your requirements are aligned with the solution. For example, if your solution will need to connect or consume external resources (webservices, B2B, SAP, etc.) that are not in the same cloud. If this is the case, then it probably is not a good idea to choose this solution.

1 visitor found this review helpful