Oracle Exalogic Review

Streamlines server consolidation and interoperability with data warehouse or BI data

How has it helped my organization?

Internally, server consolidation. In a cloud architecture, moving the HA VM from one to other is faster. This is because of the InfiniBand network fabric between the compute nodes and storage nodes (ZFS Storage). It's easy to achieve the goal of always available functionality.

Externally, interoperability with data warehouse, BI or a big data environment.

What is most valuable?

Scalablility: When we need to upgrade from an eighth-rack to a full-rack, the real downtime is less then an hour.

Manageability: When we deploy the solution for a customer, we generally need to integrate with an existing network. With the Exalogic Configuration Utility we can provide either as an isolated or integrated network segment.

Enterprise high-speed interoperability: With IPoIB we can deliver to other environments, either IP-Ethernet-based or IP-InfiniBand-based protocol, both with minimum bandwidth capacity of 10Gbps, 20Gbps, or 40Gbps, redundantly.

What needs improvement?

• Highspeed transactions per second for business areas such as public-service, telco, banking, online store, payment gateway).
  • Middleware application service, suchas statistics, data mining, could be better.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Seven out of 10.

Yes. We switched because of

• highspeed InfiniBand fabric interconnect
  • proper connectivity with Oracle Data Warehouse, OLTP, or OLAP.

Straightforward when we can isolate the network segment to be integrated. Possibly complex when we don't have any information about an existing network.

Get the price of the license you will need for the middleware that will be running on top of the Exalogic. Otherwise, you can use another middleware solution, as long as it can run on top of Oracle Linux.

Yes. VMware ESXi with commodity hardware, and Huawei FusionCube.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing make sure you have network planning confirmation and existing network services, such as DNS and NTP server.