Oracle Exalogic Review

A solution with a very good database, good automation, and good stability

What is most valuable?

The database is the solution's most valuable feature. Running the application on one machine makes it easier to position it to the client. I don't need a separate machine to run my databases. I can virtually run the databases with the application. The Linux component of it is great as well. It makes it easier to administrate. There are a lot more Linux administrators as opposed to the SuperCluster which uses Solaris and there are not as many people that use Solaris.

The automation and provisioning of the environment, as well as the centralized monitoring, have all improved over the years.

What needs improvement?

The solution is prone to disk failures. This needs to improve. Over the past four years we've had to replace about six of them. They've failed almost every three to six months.

The solution would benefit from the addition of real-time physical monitoring, like noting the temperature of the actual physical machine. The console should be able to tell you if it's overheating right away. Right now, it's not really in real-time. If I take my own temperature measurement versus what the console tells me, I find that my readings are more accurate than on the console itself.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

The stability is very good. Once you configure it, it runs with no issues. Out of ten I'd give it an eight.

Scalability is quite easy. We are running two of them across two data centers, so it's quite easy to scale up and set it up. I'd rate scalability ten out of ten.

I'd give technical support a three out of five. We need to go through technical support when we experience a disk failure, which happens quite often. Once they provided the wrong disk size. We had to return them. We had some downtime because of this, whereas in the product brochure they said there's literally zero downtime. The delivery time for the disk took too long. We had to wait for more than two weeks for the disk to be delivered. Due to this hold-up, we have had more downtime than we had anticipated.

Previous to this solution, we used the Oracle SuperCluster. That solution was much more stable, but also much more expensive. The biggest issue was Solaris, the processor. There's no skillset for Solaris. Also, some of the libraries that are needed, you can only get them from Oracle. With Linux, it's generic enough that you can build solutions and you can get the libraries anyway because Linux is open source.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We had someone come and assist with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an Oracle partner. We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.