Oracle FS1 Flash Storage System Review

Has a fantastic feature-set and works well with workflow solutions

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is only for storage. There are mostly two solution brands that are present in our company, which are Hewlett Packard Enterprise and EMC and for a few cases NetApp. The Oracle Database is the de facto for the database part.

What is most valuable?

From what I understood in the last discussion in Open World, is that it uses Oracle features fantastically. It's actually shaking hands with the workflow solutions much better than any other storage.

What needs improvement?

There are always bottlenecks for many other storages. I don't know about this Oracle, for specifically Oracle but operation is a major concern for the customers. The operation has to be very customizable. It can't be that you have to buy a chunk of this, you have to buy a chunk of that. The incremental things. It has to be flexible according to the customer's requirements. It has to be aligned with the customer business and the business environment.

We have been dealing with all-flash storage for a pretty long time. We have been partners with Oracle since 2009. I've been working with all-flash for the past year.

It has specific purpose storage from the knowledge share and it is very stable. Extendability, I'm not sure about it but for the stability, it should be okay within the limit.

We have two or three IT admins using this solution.

I have used technical support a few times. Technical support, as a whole Oracle organization is very process-oriented. So sometimes it doesn't allow you to understand the customer's specific requirements because they have their own parts, practices, and policies. They have a one-way policy which sometimes doesn't really associate with the end user's expectation.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest, if you heavily depend on the Oracle solution from the database you should consider Oracle All-Flash because, from my understanding, it is from a single OEM, it's a single solution. It would be a homogeneous environment. I think it would be definitely a better option for customers considering other all-flash storages. It would be better if you consider a solution from Oracle, from the database studio, the storage part.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a perfect ten, in the next release, I would like for it to be NVMe compliant storage.