Oracle GoldenGate Review

What is most valuable?

Ease of installation, maintenance and powerful outputs and supporting Big Data and Cloud environment as well as OGGCS (Oracle Golden Gate Cloud Service).

How has it helped my organization?

Replicated source system data seamlessly flew in our Operational Data Store (ODS). Different types of source systems (IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server) are supported for real time replication.

With the upgrade, I now can able to replicate Big Data solution from any supported source system to Hadoop clusters.

What needs improvement?

Oracle GoldenGate Studio could be more user-friendly.

It would be better for Oracle Golden Gate Studio GUI to include other licensed products (i.e. Veridata or others).

More than 5 years.

No, if found Oracle Support and/or Oracle Community helped me a lot.

In earlier versions, DDL support was limited as well as the need of primary key constraints in the source tables. This made me create partitions, sub-partitions, truncate and perform other operations upon they are performed in source systems and I need to discuss with source system administrators and need to convince them to let them create primary keys for replicated tables

But both issues are solved now.

Created some service requests about GoldenGate years before, but all are solved.

10 over 10.

Quest Shareplex, because of licensing costs.

Straightforward, easy. Deployed everything within Oracle Data Integrator.

In-house and vendor, depending on the project.

Developing 1000 of ODI interfaces for loading into Operational Data Store will took not more than 100 man/days. But, adding them to Golden Gate is taking not more than 5 man/days.

No comment about pricing and licensing.

Yes, we switched from SharePlex of Quest Software.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle GoldenGate is a stable, powerful and robust solution for your data replication needs. It supports not only Oracle, but also many source and target systems to replicate.

It now has the ability to work together with Oracle Enterprise Manager, as well as it has its own GUI (Oracle GoldenGate Studio).

Management Pack and VeriData are additional packs for your management and data verification needs.