Oracle GoldenGate Review

Fast and efficient replication between central and local repositories

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers, and our most recent deployment was for a client in France. The solution involved one central database and ten replicas that were distributed to the local offices. The central database is automatically updated as the replicas are changed, and similarly, when the central database is modified, each of the local copies is updated accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has improved both the speed and efficiency of the data replication process. Prior to this, I used packages with merge functionality for replication. The process was very slow, and sometimes had negative effects on the production database. This solution provides us with real-time replication and it does not affect the performance of other operations, which is very important to us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the CDC (Changed Data Capture), which captures only the changes that are made to the data. This has the lowest load on the production database, and it runs very quickly in the background.

Reading directly from the log file makes updating the databases very fast.

What needs improvement?

I find the user interface to be difficult for non-technical people. It was suggested to me that I use the command prompt, which is fine for me because I am a technical person. However, when showing others, such as managers, how to use the product to provide details such as the system status, it is a bit difficult.

The inclusion of monitoring and management tools would be very nice.

The Oracle documentation is very complex, and some of the documents are very long. I prefer to use sites that are on the topic of Oracle, but in fact, are not run by Oracle itself.

In our experience, there is zero technical support for this solution.

Between four and five years.

This is a very stable solution, and I haven't had any problem with the tools.

This solution scales easily. It's dependent on the files and configuration, and you can do anything you want.

This solution is being used on a daily basis. We have approximately one thousand users on the production database, including both developers and end-users. We do have plans to increase our usage, although the interface for monitoring and managing becomes difficult to use when it grows to a certain point.

I have contacted technical support, but could not get any support. I would say that the support is zero.

Prior to this solution, we had a package that used an SQL process. It had come from Oracle Scheduler. We switched because it negatively impacted our production database, making it very slow. If there was downtime and the production database had transactions then it would take days to recover from the lag.

The initial setup of this solution is of medium difficulty. It is not straightforward; however, it is not as complex as it looks.

For a single deployment that has two sites, I would expect the process to take less than two hours, although it depends on the complexity of the replication.

An example of a more complicated configuration is where only a subset of the tables are being replicated, and the flow of data is different in both directions. Setting this up can take a very long time, and incur a large cost because of coding time.

We have three people to manage and maintain this solution. This includes making changes to the database. For the monitoring and altering, one person is sufficient and it will not take one hundred percent of their time.

We handled the implementation of this solution in-house.

We do like the price of this solution.

We did not evaluate other options when we chose this solution, although I am now considering other tools.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is priced well, is fast, and doesn't have any impact on our production database.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.