Oracle Hyperion Review

Valuable Features

As a developer, I would say that the repository itself is the most valuable feature since I can easily get information and change the behavior of Planning and Essbase.

For businesses, the ability to create forecasts in a fraction of time it took before the implementation is the most valuable feature. Also, the easy manipulation of data for hypothesis tests is very useful.

Improvements to My Organization

It provides faster and more assertive forecast cycles. It enables businesses to improve their process since with this tool you can do things easier and quicker as the business can create more complex models than were possible before.

Room for Improvement

The security could be improved, as it would be good to have security by attributing dimensions.

It also needs more power for conditional formats to disable or enable read/write in the forms based on more conditions, not just changing colors.

It needs more flexible forms similar to SmartView.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for over 10 years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There were issues mainly because of a Java memory leak.

It's limited because of WebLogic.

The technical support for EPM is bad. I don't remember anytime that the service support helped me with something. The problem is bigger when you have an environment with more than one product like Hyperion Planning and ODI. This happens because the products have different owners within Oracle and then different supports and, because this, if you open a trouble ticket of loading data to planning and you say the words ODI, you'll be push around the two separate support teams indefinitely, even if your company has an Oracle support director just for you.

EPM is an enterprise suit that is made of some independent tools, and to have all of them working together, it makes it complex no matter your level of knowledge. The bigger the environment, the bigger is the challenge you need to face. Maybe one day Oracle will integrate all their tools. It'll be easier, and the good thing is that I saw a lot of improvements over the years.

Other Solutions Considered

I'm a consultant and my only evaluation was on the database. I decided on Oracle because of the database and during my career, their other tools are starting to come naturally.

Other Advice

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented them. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix.

I've been working on implementation for 19 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws, but most of time (99%) it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're platinum partners.