Oracle Identity Cloud Service Review

An important foundation product for other cloud services, although the UI needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I use IDCS to support other cloud services including the Oracle API Platform, Digital Assistant, and Content Cloud. I also use the product as an OAuth 2.0 provider for custom applications including protecting runtime APIs and JET applications. We have also implemented the OIM Connector for synchronization of on-premise identities with the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

IDCS has enabled the users of the other cloud services. It has allowed administrators to manage access to services, applications, and grant privileges via IDCS groups. The integration of this with the on-premise identity provider has allowed the product to co-exist and facilitate a gradual move to the cloud as an identity provider.

What is most valuable?

The OAuth 2.0 component is straightforward to set up and use. I also found it very easy to set up social identity providers, such as Google, and delegate the authentication to that provider.

The APIs are well documented, which has allowed us to access the IDCS security applications in our custom APIs. This allowed us to build an Authentication API for all of our public facing APIs to use IDCS as the OAuth 2.0 provider.

What needs improvement?

Self Service features are still limited in IDCS, and there is a need for more customization of the self-service screens.

At the moment there seems to be a lag between security items created in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and the Identity Cloud Service. Also, the user interface between these areas of the system is confusing.

Alignment of IDCS applications with applications in other cloud services such as API Platform would improve the product.

Two years.

It has been stable thus far in production.

I have not experienced any scalability issues.

We used the on-premise Oracle IdM Suite prior to this.

The setup is native and automated as part of the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.

We implemented in-house, with support from Product Management on integration with new versions of other cloud services such as the API Platform.

It is a foundational product to facilitate ROI from the other cloud services, but I can see that there will be an ROI with the standard product.

The foundation tier that is offered with other cloud services subscriptions is fairly extensive and supports the use of identities, groups, and privileges in those cloud services. However, the standard tier may be needed as an additional subscription for identity management features such as multi-factor authentication, and user onboarding/self-service.

A useful description of the tiers can be found here:

I did a POC with other social identity providers, e.g. Google, but the integration with on-premise IdM ensured IDCS was the first choice.

What other advice do I have?

A good foundation product to support the other cloud services, but improvements are needed in the user interface to simplify the experience and allow customer services to be involved in using the cloud service effectively.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.