Oracle Identity Governance Review

It has a quick response time but because of the bugs we have already had some major incidents and complete unavailability

What is our primary use case?

We are using the on-premise deployment model of this solution. We chose this solution because we have a lot of Oracle products and other Oracle products aren't compatible with Active Directory.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good response time but on the other hand, we have experienced a number of bugs. It responds fast but because of the bugs, we have already had some major incidents and complete unavailability. That's why we are not happy with the current version and we decided to upgrade it. We also tried to change the architecture setup to have less of an impact when the bugs occur and to have more availability. Oracle helped us to design the new architecture.

We didn't make concrete plans yet about when to switch because we are still working on the high availability setup path. It will be a high availability setup, each data center with an active process failover in case something blocks it.

What needs improvement?

The reason we are upgrading to the next version is because today we have stretched clusters across data centers. We experienced major problems with the cluster software and the product, which is coherence. In the next version, that part will be handled by the database. We hope that we will get rid of those stability problems because of the bugs that are in there.

I have been using this solution for the past seven years but it has been deployed at my company for longer.

It's not so stable in our environment. It might have something to do with our old network. We're replacing the network now but it's very latency-sensitive.

There are quite some setbacks and I think Oracle is very well aware of them. There is no real service level management on the contract side. When you log something, you do get priority, but in general, you need to escalate something for them to look into it. The quality of their answers are often not so splendid either. We already had some commercial discussions with them on how we could improve it, but it's so expensive that while it's not affordable for a company like ours, you can hire a technical account manager for products, which isn't something we can do.

It is a complex product. There are not a lot of engineers with knowledge about it. That's the first problem. I think it's a general problem. We do have one consultant and one internal person just for the line support and installations. We know from experience from a consultant that worked with different customers that they all have the same problem.

We have one consultant working on this product and it's a full-time job here.

The hardware and the operating system obviously cost money. With Oracle, you have the product itself and then you have the management product which might be expensive sometimes as well.

As a customer, it's not okay that the salespeople sell you a product that they don't tell you all the ins and outs about and you are expected to manage it. You discover all of these things afterward if you don't ask the right questions.

What other advice do I have?

In the current setup, within our network, I would not rate it too high. It's maybe a six or a seven out of ten. Although, it might be related to the performance of our network.

It's a good product as such, but you need to be aware that you need some people who are having the knowledge.