Oracle Java Cloud Service Review

In a few clicks, you can set up an entire WebLogic server in the AWS cloud services and the storage cloud services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is cloud-based. You don't have to acquire the software, install it on you machine or go through the trouble of procuring the hardware. You would then have to install and maintain everything and apply patches. With Oracle Java Cloud Service, in a few clicks, you can set up an entire WebLogic server in the AWS cloud services and the storage cloud services. It's really awesome. All this comes with a free subscription when you subscribe to Java Cloud Services. You also get the Developer Cloud Service at no cost.

What needs improvement?

I find this is pretty mature product. Mature in the sense that I’m getting the same Java in the cloud that I get with a locally installed version. So far, the only issue I have is with the storage cloud. The user needs to use the external REST API to set up the storage cloud servers. A developer that knows the REST API can easily do this. Other options, like the Java Cloud Service or Database Cloud Service, do have a UI option from the web application itself, where you can go and create an instance.

I’ve been using Oracle Java Cloud Service for the last few months. I find it pretty interesting, and very powerful for developers.

The Oracle Java Cloud Service is pretty stable. I haven’t had any issues since beginning a few months ago. Oracle is very prompt in sending an email when the system is going to be going into a maintenance mode, so I get a heads-up on that. That's really helpful.

Oracle JCS is scalable. You can extend and add extra managed services if you want. You can also add extra capacity with a few clicks.

The technical support is really good. I am usually able to contact an admin and we get a clear picture of the entire infrastructure; what is going on, where we can improve things. I didn't find any issues at all.

Setup it is pretty straightforward, but a few documents need to be updated here and there. For example, one of the documents describing how to create a storage cloud service doesn't mention that you need to use an authorization code.

Also, Oracle does need to work on a little bit integration with locally installed resources, although some of these issues have already been addressed with updates.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely the first requirements I look for are reliability, security, and cost. Also, whether all of the products to talk to each other seamlessly. When you look at AWS, for example, its pretty stable. They provide the IaaS, infrastructure as a service, but if I want to have the features of the WebLogic or the database cloud service, Oracle, and the Java, I have to do all my development on the IaaS that AWS provides. Whereas, Oracle Java Cloud Service provides the platform and the IaaS.

Also, Oracle is in the process of migrating all their products, which have been traditionally locally installed, to the cloud. That gives me the advantage of interacting with other applications seamlessly.

More Oracle Java Cloud Service reviews from users