Oracle Linux Review

It's easily configurable for Oracle applications (mostly Database) due to the Oracle-validated meta-package. I don't think bluetooth should be installed by default.

Valuable Features

The feature I've found more useful is that this distribution is easily configurable for Oracle applications (mostly Database) due to the Oracle-validated meta-package.

Improvements to My Organization

Oracle Linux has considerably shortened the time I need to install the OS for Oracle databases, and it has lowered the risks of misconfigurations for it.

Room for Improvement

Given that it's a distribution for servers and not for gaming, I would like it if useless things like bluetooth were not installed by default. It also needs a better text installation interface.

Use of Solution

I've been using Oracle Linux for four or five years, and I think I'll continue to use it as long as I'm going to work with other Oracle products.

Deployment was fine until version 5.8, and when I tried 5.1.x, the troubles began due to kernel bugs in the network section which isolates the machine from other networks, even though I'm able to recompile the kernel. I prefer not to host it on a machine that will also host an Oracle database.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

As with everything owned by Oracle, the technical support is overly expensive and the service request management system is draining, but the knowledge base section is good.

Previously, I used Red Hat, but their licensing policy wasn't clear to me and the uncertainty about availability of repositories, plus the necessity to use Oracle Linux only with other Oracle applications, made me move in this direction.

If you have basic to intermediate Linux knowledge, the initial setup was straightforward. We're far away from the time a system admin should know exactly the name of the module your hardware needs.

Implementation Team

I tested and implemented it by myself. My advice is to start with a minimal installation and disable all useless services after the first startup, e.g. bluetooth, IRDA, etc.

ROI

The only return I had was time savings, avoiding mistakes, and, being free of charge, I'd advise Oracle to keep it that way.

Other Advice

I can only recommend it to everyone has to work with Oracle products and Linux environments.