Oracle Linux Review

ASMLib is pre-installed. All Red Hat-certified applications are also certified on this platform, by default.

What is most valuable?

As a DBA, I prefer Oracle Linux as it is fine tuned to run Oracle databases. I can easily install pre-requisite packages using pre-install rpms. ASMLib is pre-installed with Oracle Linux.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of the patches are publicly available and free via public repositories. Any application that is certified in Red Hat Enterprise Linux is certified in Oracle Linux by default, as they both share the same source code.

What needs improvement?

Desktop environments should be designed better. Red Hat Enterprise Linux's desktop environments are much better.

I have been using Oracle Linux for 3.5 years.

We have never had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support gets 3.5/5.

I was using AIX, Solaris, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The main reason for switching was that Oracle Linux is much cheaper compared to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Setup was straightforward.

Oracle Linux itself is free. But, if you need support, you need to purchase a support license. Following is the price range:

• US$500 for a 2-socket server.
  • US$1600 for unlimited number of CPUs in a machine.

I have worked on AIX, Solaris, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

What other advice do I have?

The UEK kernel is optimized for Oracle databases, Oracle applications, and Oracle engineered systems. So, go for it.

More Oracle Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Retailer
...who compared it with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.