Oracle Multitenant Review

It allows a container database to hold many pluggable databases.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's a really great new option for Database 12c. I think there's huge potential because it allows a container database to hold many pluggable databases. I love using it, even though there's not much information out there about it. People will realize how good it is at adopting databases without application changes.

Room for Improvement:

Oracle has a lot of work to do with Multitenant because it's a new feature. For example, it prevents you from actually using it if your database has certain features that it doesn't yet support. We'll have to wait and see if the next release fixes some of these issues.

Use of Solution:

Multitenant came out with Database 12c release 12.1, which was about two years ago. I've been using it since then.

Deployment Issues:

We've had deployment issues because it's so new that there are some features of our database that aren't supported.

Stability Issues:

It's stable, but it takes a lot of time to adopt all other products to use it as well. It's sad that Oracle's killed off some support for Multitenant with some features, such as Streams, CDC, and others. Release 12.2 covered some of the gaps, but feature releases need more coverage.

Scalability Issues:

Release 12.2 has really improved on scalability. If you put 250 pluggable databases on one machine and the resource manager isn't up to par, you can't really move it around much.

Initial Setup:

It was a fairly straightforward initial setup. We didn't have much trouble with it.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it ourselves.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners