Oracle OBIEE Review

We needed a solution for data modeling, which our previous solution did not do well.

What is most valuable?

The data modeling tier (called repository in Oracle BI technology) lets the user build and manage flexible, stable solutions for a large number of data sources, and business reporting areas.

How has it helped my organization?

I use the product to realize reporting and dashboard solutions on several telecommunication network test suites, thus not for any company organization aspect.

What needs improvement?

The catalog tool (to create report and dashboard)is not intuitive or easy to use. There are also some low severity bugs (up the 11.1.1.7 release).

I've used it for five years.

The product does not provide an automatic system maintenance service, thus log files continue to be collected on the disk up until it is full and it causes the whole platform stop. It requires continuous manual monitoring and deletion of log files.

The platform is powerful, scalable and flexible, but requires a huge commitment in term of people expertise in system and on the product.

6/10 - in some case they don’t help completely in finding smart solutions or workarounds for our issues.

We used Business Objects XI, and we switched to Oracle for a more impressive view, and a more interactive dashboard. OBIEE is also better equipped for the data modeling functionalities tier, and integrations.

It was complex, firstly for the platform setup, and secondly, it is required to have a large amount of knowledge and experience of the product before becoming an expert.

We implemented it in-house.

More Oracle OBIEE reviews from users
...who compared it with Tableau
1 Comment

author avatarit_user74121 (BI Expert at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees)

We have deployed this as self service and our users (accountants) are able to drag and drop analysis to dashboards quite easily. They don't use the catalog tool to do this, they use the dashboard feature. We've had a lot of success with it.