Just as any business intelligence tool, the top five core expectations of any BI tool is to be able to:
- Build adhoc reports (drag & drop) - for data discovery/exploration as well as to drive insight
- Schedule set cadence reports - to avoid manual running of the report as well as including a broader audience to share with to further avoid any manual bottleneck processes, if this feature were not available
- Visualization and Dashboards - basic & advanced (OBIEE offers both) - adhoc reports/data is great when one has enough time at hand to build great charts. What if the effort can be done just once and used many times? OBIEE out-of-the-box has a great selection of visualization choices, and others can be greatly customized with the right technical expertise
- Offline data availability - OBIEE Briefing Book offers the data to be available even offline, and when connection is available can easily update to get the latest information; as suppose to the alternative of downloading PDF before going offline, and re-downloading when data refreshes
- Customization - I simply cannot think of anything in OBIEE that cannot be customized, not to mention that APIs can also be built on-top for easy data communication with other tools
Improvements to My Organization
Taking top five features in mind:
- Build adhoc reports (drag & drop) - our team and stakeholders build analysis everyday to find different ways to slice and dice the data to better analyze the business and produce actionable insight
- Schedule set cadence reports - very heavily used feature across organization
- Visualization and Dashboards (basic & advanced OBIEE offers both) - even executive dashboards are built using OBIEE given the flexibility of the tool
- Offline data availability - used while traveling with peace of mind without having to worry about internet connection to stay connected with the data
- Customization - we customized the tool to standardize to the corporate color pallet and to stay consistent.
Room for Improvement
Overall OBIEE is a great tool; however, the architecture of implementation for IT folks, and ease of use for a not-too-technical audience has room for improvement.
Use of Solution
I have used OBIEE for the past five years.
Stability of OBIEE is very dependent on, and varies on, the hardware and Operating Systems of every organization. From experience, I have noticed OBIEE running on Linux has very few stability issues when compared to Windows.
The issue comes down to the learning curve of the product, and knowing exactly what to do as suppose to trial and error. Overall, OBIEE can scale with no issues.
Customer Service and Technical Support
It's great. Technical Support
Overall, it's good as it can be improved.
My organization has been using OBIEE for the duration I have been employed.
The overall architecture of getting OBIEE up and running is complex and the sequence must be followed very attentively.
It was implemented in house.
Other Solutions Considered
I am sure the team has evaluated other products; and as a matter of fact, I am re-evaluating BI products as we speak, and OBIEE is one of the options on the table.
Be sure to know exactly what to do before doing anything, to save cycle time. And/or seek expertise in the field who have done it before and know the ins and outs of the product.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Sep 01 2015