Oracle OBIEE Review

We're able to bring organizational data together on a single platform, although it doesn't permit us to override the default query system.

What is most valuable?

• Reporting
  • System & data security
  • Web services
  • Scalability

How has it helped my organization?

This tool has helped us bring organizational data together on a single platform and query the organisational data in a pre-defined as well as Ad-hoc fashion. The results to these queries have led to important discoveries in terms of trends and predictions which has helped focus the direction in which the business has to be led.

What needs improvement?

Reporting. While a novice or average user cannot see behind the scenes, a seasoned OBIEE developer can. A seasoned report writer would want the capability to over-ride the default query system to write complicated queries that can then be fired against the database to run more efficiently. Currently the tool does not have this ability.

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

Yes, but not with the tool. It’s important to decide the kind of hardware you want to run your BI installation on. If the hardware is not up to the task of handling a 100 users at a time, the BI system won’t throw alarms at you, instead the BI system gets stuck. In ideal situations, you should have a standalone server with a dedicated file system for a BI installation.

The horizontal scalability {adding new servers to the same system} needs to be simplified in terms of catalogue sharing.

6/10.

6/10.

No solution had been used previously.

It’s a straightforward setup initially. A simple Windows style - Next... Next... etc. - installation to start a BI server. It’s when you want to add roles and users when things starts getting interesting and complex.

Through a vendor team. 7/10.

Read the licensing documents carefully.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

This is a highly scalable and well integrated BI system with possibilities of deep rooted integration into future products by Oracle. If you are going to join the Oracle stack for your financial needs, you might as well start using OBIEE for the Business Intelligence solution.

Always remember, a BI developer does not automatically know your business. You need a Business Analyst to drive a BI project not a BI developer.