Oracle OBIEE Review

A few thousand users run ad-hoc reports. Stability-wise, they still have a lot to improve.

What is most valuable?

Oracle OBIEE came out very early, compared to the other BI products, the other competitors’ products. It was pretty much the first in the market. It grabbed a good portion of the market. That's one important feature: They have been there forever.

How has it helped my organization?

We do have ad-hoc reporting. A few thousand users run ad-hoc reports. They run SQLs for data, extract the data and use the data. Some users use the dashboards.

Stability-wise, they still have a lot to improve, especially when you have a lot of data coming out of SQL. For example, if I have to see a million requests, most of the time it crashes.

Scalability is fine. I don't see any issues. Scalability-wise, most of the time, they depend on the underlying WebLogic server. The WebLogic server scales fine.

We always have problems with Oracle support. When they cannot solve an issue, they always go around and around with it. Time passes and users get frustrated - the customer gets frustrated – getting the ticket closed.

If there is an easy solution or they have come across the issue already, that’s when they are responsive. However, if they don’t know the answer right away, or if you don’t quickly hear back from Oracle, or if you don’t like the answer you get from Oracle, that’s when you can go through this; you might never get the solution. It’s better to just close the ticket and not waste that time.

I did not previously use a different solution. We kind of started this project from scratch. We use all Oracle products and Oracle support. We thought, OK, why use a different product if we can get a good product from Oracle?

Setup is good; easy and simple.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

If someone asked me for advice, I would throw out a few options and let them pick which one is better. I’d provide whatever I know about this product and also other products, not just those from Oracle.

I don't know if Oracle wants to hear this, but there are other products in the analytical field that are pretty good. For example, Tableau.

For example, dashboard-wise, other products are way better than OBIEE. Oracle still has to improve some of these issues, especially when there is a huge amount of data.

When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, the most important criteria are that they are big; everything is integrated. For example, if I have to use Oracle Identity Management, it is integrated with OBIEE, including single sign-on. Everything is integrated.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My employer is an Oracle Certified Partner.