Jt hjyjg 400x400

Oracle OBIEE Review
Three categorization layers gives us flexibility. The biggest need for us is non-structured data.

Valuable Features

It's one of the common integrated recording tools. I have been in the OBIEE world for quite some time. It's another powerful tool with certain aspects that are like no other tool. Three categorization layers gives us a lot of flexibility, which I didn't realize was possible on other reporting tools.

Prior to this, I was on the ETL side and slowly transferred to the reporting layer side and OBIEE was another good planning factor for me on that.

Room for Improvement

I would say the biggest need for us is non-structured data. Most of the time, our users come up with an Excel file they want to integrate. It's pretty much impossible in OBIEE. I'll put it that way. When it comes to the BI world, maybe you can do that in SAP Business Objects, and as a company, we have OBIEE and Business Objects as parallel tools people use.

That is always one of the things that we always lag behind and maybe people think Excel, but that is not one of the most powerful things businesses use. If you cannot satisfy the Excel needs, it doesn't matter how cool or how technically focused, consistent, compliant data you have; you can't use that if you can’t integrate it.

There are a few things, like variables and other stuff. Maybe they could allow the editing of reports. Those are the basic features. You cannot copy and paste a report, a particular section, which a lot of people said to us that they have to go through.

A focus on the user experience is what OBIEE needs. As a technical guy, I understand why it works and why, but if it doesn’t sell the business? Make it more user friendly. I'll put it that way.

I rate a product based on how it allows me to help the organization and my role is to provide reports. Success comes only when my customer accepts it. Right now, it's unidirectional and the other piece; there are some things, which are a pushback. It could be a lot of factors, not specifically OBIEE, but OBIEE plays a major role.

Most of the time, we have issues we are facing.

Use of Solution

I have used Oracle OBIEE for the last 3 years.

It is a stable product. It has it's own life cycle and as the near future comes, it takes its own time, but once it gets stabilized, we're pretty much good.

We are using it to a good amount of extent, but I believe it's scalable. There is some kind of heaviness to the application. If it can be compartmentalized, then they will have it really good. Right now, they are trying to scale it to an extent we could do, but it comes with some kind of administrative work from our side.

Technical support is okay. I will put it that way. We had our own ups and downs. As a company, from our side, we are platinum customers to Oracle. I don't want to go through the regular route of technical support. We know what we are asking. I'm not that new at this. I don't want to go through a 10-step process to reach somebody, because we work with them to correct some of their product issues.

Apart from that, we get assistance. I won't say we don't get it, but we also had a structured model to interact with Oracle and that they are getting better at that. I came to know that in 12c. They are making it easy for us to give our issues to them. They have the ability that we can click on a case and give them whatever they need. Hopefully, that should solve our problem with Oracle.

When I came in, there was a framework already existing. I was more stabilizing the issues, and this is what my knowledge is about. Setup was not straightforward. There are a lot of things that my friend was initially doing and was going through. I came and then helped them and stabilized it more; not specific to the OBIEE, but from the OBIEE stack. Those are some things that need to be improved.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Oracle OBIEE?

Our experts can help. 242,687 professionals have used our research on 5,991 solutions.