Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Review

The Smart View Administrator add-in allows me to load metadata.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

How has it helped my organization?

The improvement for the organization is the same as it is with Hyperion Planning plus the license is a lot more affordable and it has no need for in-house equipment. The only thing to remember is that with one license, you get just one application (with five cubes).

What is most valuable?

Well, the PBCS is almost the same as Hyperion Planning, with the exception that you don't have access to Essbase and to the relational repository. What you got is access to a web page where you can do your development. For me, as a developer, the most valuable feature is the Smart View Administrator add-in that allows me to load metadata very easy and very fast.

What needs improvement?

I think the biggest improvement would be to have direct access to other CS products you have; for example, that BICS could access directly the PBCS machine to produce dashboards or, better, ODI loading and extract data/metadata using a KM. This is in the Oracle road map.

More than five years.

We have not encountered any stability issues. This is better than on-premises solutions are for this topic.

Until now, I haven't had to increase my initial setup.

I didn't have to access customer service.

I didn't have to access technical support.

I still use Planning on-premises and this wasn't the case of a switch. It was just a solution from a client that didn't want to have any kind of IT infrastructure in-house.

That is one big advantage of cloud solutions: no initial setup, just start to develop. And the development is almost the same as on-premises. The only difference is the way you load data and metadata.

I was the vendor team that implemented it.

Always talk with an Oracle representative and negotiate a discount. I have already seen 99% discounts and a free licence once.

Sometimes it is cheaper if you get hardware together (helps to negotiate a discount).

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented them. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix.

I've been working on implementation for 20 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws but most of time (99%), it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.