Oracle Private Cloud Appliance Review

Allows us to run mixed workloads for Oracle and non-Oracle environments.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility to run mixed workloads for Oracle and non-Oracle environments.
  • One stop to all your applications; for example, consolidation of various platforms, Linux, RHEL, WM Windows and Solaris into one single system.
  • Provisioning for rapid application deployments (in just a few hours).
  • Also, cloud-ready solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Any new deployment typically takes weeks or months to get things ready. With PCA, the deployment provisioning is made easy; the new environment can be ready in just few hours. Thus, this will hep organizations to avoid delays in launching new deployments.

What needs improvement?

• Support and more awareness of the system functionality and internal mechanism.

I have used it for less than six months.

Initial system planning is most important; how to distribute the resources, configuring the virtual network, and the best usage of OEM is important for the new deployments. Besides, teams with VM concepts and background would be handy to execute the project. When you have such teams available, you're unlikely to encounter any serious issues during the deployment.

Planning of resource distribution and management is a vital step in configuration; also, network setup. When you put best practices in place, you shouldn't be facing any stability issues.

We have not experienced any scalability issues yet.

Since the PCA is relative new, finding experienced resources is bit hard; need a lot of improvements in terms of documentation and technical details.

Technical support is satisfactory.

Engineered System setup is never going to be an easy or straightforward installation, anytime; requires solid planning and skilled resources.

A combination of Oracle Customer Support (ACS) and an Oracle global partner implemented it.

Rapid provisioning of new environments make launch of production on-time.

No additional software licenses are required for Oracle Private Cloud Appliance.
The Oracle Private Cloud Appliance system price includes all the required software. It's the most cost-effective solution for your mixed Oracle and non-Oracle workloads. Achieve efficiencies by only paying for the Oracle Database software licensing that you actually use.

We compared various cloud options that supports the full range of Oracle software, including AWS, MS Azure, etc.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle PCA is definitely worth investing in.