Oracle Reports Review

The Grid function, which actually draws out the reports, is not good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that if a user wants a report with whatever information and in whichever format, we can provide it for them. Also, its ability to provide simple calculations is particularly useful.

What needs improvement?

I really don't like much about Oracle Reports. It's only value, I think, is that it integrates well with our existing Oracle products. The Grid function, which actually draws out the reports, is not good. One little mistake will cause everything to fall apart, and then you have to rebuild from the beginning.

We've had no issues deploying it.

It's stable and it generates a report for you, but we're talking about moving to 11g right now and that's the version that we have issues with.

When you purchase Oracle Forms, you purchase a certain number of licenses, and so it works for a certain number of licenses. We have been able to add additional licenses and users with no problem.

At first, we didn't have a lot of options out there, but now Oracle APEX (Application Express) has come in, and it's really useful as well. We still use Reports but I think we'll be using APEX a lot more.

The initial setup is complex because our network is private.

What other advice do I have?

I think that once we move to APEX, we won't be using Reports anymore.