Oracle Reports Review

It gives us the capability to track what we have and what the customer's able to see. I absolutely hate the layout with all the little lines and the different panels.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for us has been the ability to provide reports to the customer that's tailored to their needs. They can see the exact data that they want by simply giving us their requirements and we'll create the reports from there.

Improvements to My Organization:

It gives us the capability to track what we have and what the customer's able to see. It lends itself to software configuration management so that we aren't out there creating the same report for two different people. We can use essentially the template of an existing report, and for a completely different application, provide the same capability with a minimum amount of work.

It's expensive, but I think the quality of the product itself is important to our company.

Finally, it provides a standardized look and feel to reports, which I like.

Room for Improvement:

I absolutely hate the layout with all the little lines, the different panels, and if you bump the wrong thing just a smidgen, it no longer compiles. You've brought it outside of its area of focus. It says, "We're done here."

I've looked at a couple of the E-Business Suite reports, and there's no way to fit it all on one screen. When it throws that layout on the screen, you would need a monitor the size of a wall to be able to see everything. It's like using a magnifying glass, and you're seeing only a tiny bit of it. For me, I lose context. That would be the biggest complaint I have there.

Otherwise, slap this here, and that there, and this here, and you're ready to go. Depending on how detailed the report is, and how much information you're actually putting on there, that leads to the, "Where's this?" It's all kind of a confusing mess, and that would be the biggest problem area for me.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no real issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

Everything's been solid. We've had no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

It's been scaleable for our needs.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was nothing. It was simple and straightforward. It's learning the tool that requires a little more involvement.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Every Oracle product is expensive, and this is no different.

Other Advice:

The big issue for me was learning the tool.