Oracle Service Bus Review

Functional message delivery service, but there are issues with monitoring

What is our primary use case?

I'm an integration architect and we're a customer of Oracle.

What is most valuable?

What's valuable is the ability to master the process in one location. That's the main difference between other firewall products and this. Usually, there's an issue when you want to integrate many services together because you can't save contacts in one place. For example, if you have A, that calls B, that calls C, that calls D, there's no place to store your contacts and that's a problem. We can do that with Oracle.

What needs improvement?

The main inconvenience is the composition between services. Using software initiation, occupation with BPM, or BPI is better. There are issues, especially if you want to create some compensation in your service bin. If you have six or seven services you call in the same process, it's very difficult and that's the main issue. I get compensation with the WBS tool.

Another point relates to monitoring. When you want to show what's happened in your system, you have to deploy a direct system on each service. It's simple to put the monitoring on your BPM and that's the main difference for me. Also, connectors can be on Apache Kafka, on Oracle, or OpenESB, or on Mule, it's the same thing. It's how you execute the process. For example, OpenESB support is the difference between the interface with the service and the implementation. Oracle is more intelligent. When you want to invoke a service B, for example, you don't directly invoke service B but ask the system for the best and most accurate implementation of B for your system and it provides that. You can't do that with a simple ESB.

For additional features, if I compare OpenESB, there is the possibility to define policy between services so that when you create a connection, you can't associate the connection with the policy. That could be included in the solution.

I've been using the product for a year.

It's a stable solution.

I have no problems with the scalability, but when you define the hierarchies there can be problems.

We've never used technical support, we have our own tech team within the company.

Implementation took a few weeks, no more. It was relatively simple I believe but I'm not an expert on deployment and installation.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, not an exceptional product. You could say it's a bit greedy as it requires lots of additional resources because you have to deploy the database and then ESB on top of that. But if you have the resources and people, it's a good product.

I would rate this product seven out of 10.

More Oracle Service Bus reviews from users
...who compared it with Mule ESB
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, MuleSoft, IBM and others in Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.