Oracle SOA Suite Review

Its strength is its consistency and compliance with the Java Enterprise Edition standard and the underlying application servers.

Valuable Features

We use two components within SOA suite:

• Oracle Service Bus
  • Oracle SOA Suite (BPEL)

It covers all uses for services with and without states. This solution is an Enterprise Service Bus for company strategy with all the expected features

• Scalabity
  • Robustness
  • Performance
  • Cache
  • Administration.

Improvements to My Organization

The bus virtualizes services with OSB (Oracle Service Bus) as it guarantees a secure and holding performance with throttling downstream. It allows us to hide systems like SAP, AS400 and more modern systems.

SOA Suite takes over the services with states or necessitates fine tracking offered in combination with Enterprise Manager.

Room for Improvement

This version supports Maven for the first time. Some features need to be added for a complete support. A system trace for Oracle support would be useful.

Use of Solution

We've been using this version since 2015.

Some customers mix concepts services with and without states. The state management in the BPEL engine of SOA Suite requires persistence in DB and reduces the expected performance. It is very important to activate it when needs dictate.

It's been stable during the time we've been using it.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The quality of support is not always equivalent. In general, it must improve.

The initial setup has been improved with this version 12.1. Development environments are autonomous and faster to use and to deploy.

However, the Oracle solution is based on a JEE architecture which teams must mastered. Otherwise the length of growing competence is long.

Implementation Team

I attend implementations at customers with their teams. Their feedback is that during deployment, it has

• Robustness
  • Performance
  • Rich functionality

The largest customer has more than four million hits a day on its Oracle SOA Suite infrastructure.

Other Solutions Considered

I compared this solution to others. The Oracle SOA Suite solution respects Java bases with WebLogic. It allows us to build ESB and BPEL solutions on known technologies and mastered by systems teams. It has a corporate problem as its capacity for scalability, robustness and orchestration require a dedicated infrastructure base. I suggest other solutions to my clients based on their needs.

Other Advice

It is a very good ESB if your team has JEE knowledge.