Oracle SOA Suite Review

It enables communication between different systems -- some old, some new -- by using middleware.

Valuable Features

• Monitoring
  • WebLogic performance
  • Open standards.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

• More Maven support
  • Improved file-transfer adapter
  • Large payloads need to be made easier to use

Use of Solution

I've used it for eight years.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

We have had no issues scaling it to our needs.

In our experience, technical support is really bad and needs a lot of work.

The initial setup is complex. There are many things involved and if you don't know it very well, you can damage the installation.

Implementation Team

I have always been an independent consultant, and I always say there has to be an in-house responsible person/department for SOA.

ROI

I don't have specific information, but in most of my projects there is substantial savings when we implement a good SOA strategy.

Other Solutions Considered

In other projects, I evaluated/used Netweaver for SAP integration and it was really difficult to use. I used the IBM SOA Solution also, but it is not mature enough for the real world. Oracle offered by far a better SOA solution.

Other Advice

You need to have a good leader/manager take this project and lay down a good strategy/plan before jumping into implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My current company is an Oracle Partner.