Oracle SOA Suite Review

We can reach back into the database and find out where your data is. My biggest complaint is finding the right support for it.

Valuable Features:

It allows for our integrations with SOA Suite via the API, which we've found to be very agile. We're also able to start integrating through some web services through the ABS system.

Improvements to My Organization:

We now have a place that allows our integration to happen, whether that's through the agile API running that process or by having our web team develop something that reaches back into the database to grab data. This is important because we often have customers who come to our website to inquire about their orders. But because we don't have to keep two sets of data, we're able to just reach into the database to find out where the data is about customers' orders.

Room for Improvement:

While the product is technically good, my biggest complaint is that there's a lack of the ability to find good support in the IT community for it. This isn't an issue with Oracle support, but rather with finding someone who manages it and who knows what's going on with it. It doesn't seem to be the usual Oracle product that really takes a bit of skill in order to manage it correctly. There's a market for SOA Suite administrators that's separate from regular DBAs. So that's my biggest complaint -- finding the right community support for it.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

It runs fine without any huge stability issues. It's when we try to use it with certain packages that we are trying to do around the AIP that we had some issues.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't really had to scale it because we're not using it that much yet. We may have plans in the future to.

Initial Setup:

SOA Suite setup was fine as it installs per their instructions. Our biggest issue we had was with our API integration from agile to EBS. It took us several months to get that up and running correctly, with a lot of escalated Oracle support around that. It was a tough nut to crack but we eventually got there.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it ourselves with our in-house team.

Other Advice:

There are different products that can do the same thing. Evaluate your requirements and if you have big plans for integration with Oracle, give it some thought.