Oracle Solaris Review

Oracle Solaris 11 is highly scalable and fault-tolerant.

Valuable Features

In Solaris 11, Network Virtualization, LDOMs, Zones, ZFS, and Live Upgrade are the most valuable features to me. In Solaris 10, the most valuable features are the Live Upgrade, ZFS, Zones, and SVC Feature.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps a lot in data center consolidation, P2V, and with LDOM live migration. It reduces required overall downtime, and is highly scalable, especially with T5 architecture.

Room for Improvement

I have noticed very frequent HBA and NIC card failure in T5-1B or T4-1B blade servers. More stability is required. I have experience multiple instances where QUAD HBA+NIC Port, for T4-1B, T5-1B was failed. And we had some downtime, as replacing HBA card, potentially needs server to be powered-off. Though this was noticed in case of Blade servers only, not for T5-8 or T5-2 or T4-2 etc.

Use of Solution

We have been using Solaris 11 for 3-4 years, and Solaris 10 for 10 years.

I didn’t encounter any issues with deployment.

I didn’t encounter any issues with scalability.

I rate technical support at 9.

I have had the opportunity to work with various other UNIX as well as Linux operating systems, but among all of them, I found Solaris to be a very stable operating system. Now with the evolution of LDOMs, ZFS and zones, it’s providing a perfect platform for virtualization solutions.

To me, installation doesn’t seem complex, but at the same time comprehensive understanding of technology is required.

Implementation Team

We performed implementation ourselves, except some time when we requested Oracle professional services request.

Other Advice

I recommend Oracle solutions such as T5 Super-Cluster, T5-8 and the Oracle Solaris 11 operating system, as they are highly scalable and fault-tolerant systems.

I rate Solaris 10 a 7.