Oracle Solaris Review

The most valuable features to me are ZFS, Automated Installer, and Kernel Zones.

Valuable Features

In, Oracle Solaris 11, the most valuable features to me are ZFS, Automated Installer, and Kernel Zones. In Solaris 10, they are ZFS, SMF, Live Upgrade, Zones, and JumpStart.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see improvements in user adaptability, the poor UI, and in the packaging of the applications. Solaris should look like Linux and the end user should not be afraid of using it. It's way different than linux.

It should have POSIX compatibility with Linux.

Use of Solution

We have been used Oracle Solaris 11 for four years, and Solaris 10 for eight years.

There is limited deployment support outside of the documentation on the Oracle site, which is a problem when it comes to configuring, deploying and support for Solaris. Outside of docs.oracle.com, there’s very little knowledge base available, which is a big problem for Solaris.

For Oracle Solaris 11, I rate customer service and technical support a 7/10. For Solaris 10, 6/10.

Solaris 11 had its challenges, being a new OS & again with the limited knowledge outside of the subscription world and its adaptability rate.

Solaris 10 was not too complex to deploy.

Implementation Team

If I had a chance, I would implement it on my own, as long as Oracle’s subscription is affordable.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is NOT affordable compared to Linux. Oracle’s licensing policy is horrible.

Other Solutions Considered

Unfortunately, we are moving away from Oracle Solaris & completely into Linux now. We have replaced a whole lot of Solaris with RHEL. That's what’s happening more in IT. Oracle’s poor strategy to lift the Solaris OS and tight licensing policy is killing Solaris.

Easy-to-find self-help in Linux through different sources increases its user adaptability rate & popularity. If Solaris is even going to survive, they need to change the marketing & licensing strategy.

Other Advice

Solaris 11 OS is as good as Linux. In fact, some of their features are way more advanced than Linux. But you need to self-learn, get to the comfort level of using it and push others to do so, especially the platform consumers.

More Oracle Solaris reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Windows Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Solaris. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.