Oracle Solaris Review

What is most valuable?

ZFS.

How has it helped my organization?

Compressible file system has been a great benefit for archiving large numbers of small text files.

What needs improvement?

Software availability.

10+ years.

No, very stable.

No, not really an issue in our environment.

Not available.

Fairly straightforward. Storage seems to be the most complicated part when dealing with physical servers.

This was a long time ago. We considered Linux but wanted the vendor support offered by Sun at the time with both hardware and software, because we didn't have expertise in the area.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, I don't think Solaris has a lot of advantages over less expensive options. I do love ZFS and have found it to be very stable. I don't have much experience with it in other distributions but some early attempts with fuse were not stable. That was a while ago, so I bet you can get a stable release of something with ZFS.

10 & 11
More Oracle Solaris reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Windows Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Solaris. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.