Oracle SQL Developer Review

Other PL/SQL IDE don't have the same modelling capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Off the top of my head (I don't use it that often):

• Included Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler. No PL/SQL IDE has such modelling capabilities, as far as I know. This is a killer feature for me.
  • Database Export
  • Database Diff
  • Debugging capabilities

What needs improvement?

Off the top of my head (I don't use it that often):

• Just copy IntelliJ's IDEA for PL/SQL
  • Projects - there are none and are much needed
  • More code formatting options
  • To be able to handle db object scripts that end with /
  • File browser
  • Filtering
  • Favourite locations
  • Versioning is there, check. But it sucks a lot, double check. Maybe except SVN.

It's getting better with every release. I would have rated it much lower a couple of years ago. With Oracle's resources, it could be much much better.

I have used this solution for eight years.

It is not very stable on MacOS, but it's much better on Windows I think.

I haven't used customer service.

I haven't used technical support.

IDE help is there, but it could be much better.

I did and still haven't fully switched to Oracle SQL Developer.

Setup is piece of cake. Various options are well hidden in settings, but the search helps a lot.

An in-house team implemented it.

It's free. The required time investment and change of thinking while using it is too much for me, anytime I seriously think about switching to Oracle SQL Developer as my main tool for PL/SQL development.

What other advice do I have?

Invest enough time beforehand so you would fully understand how Oracle SQL Developer works and behaves in some situations. It is a very powerful tool, but sometimes it "works in mysterious ways", just like any Oracle's desktop product. (JDeveloper is the best example.)

1.5.0 - 4.1.3
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle Gold Partner.
More Oracle SQL Developer reviews from users
2 Comments

author avatarit_user492777 (Senior Technical Evangelist at Snowflake Computing)

Best way to figure out the "mysterious ways" of SQL Developer is to ask questions on the OTN discussion forum for SQL Dev (it is also free) and follow product manager Jeff Smith on twitter and his blog (thatjeffsmith.com) where he writes a ton about the features and functions of SQL Developer and SQL Dev Data Modeler

author avatarHelen J Sanders
Top 20Vendor

I only recently started using the data modeler, and it's most useful to me, for figuring out parent-child table relationships in our ERP system's database (ellucian's Banner). I use SQL Developer every day on the job. I haven't found a better tool!